Come work at America’s first museum of modern art! The Phillips Collection is seeking an experienced professional who will manage the Phillips’ digital visitor experience.
The Head of Digital Experience will implement the museum’s strategic digital initiatives to foster engagement with works of art across a broad array of platforms including but not limited to apps, virtual tours, A/V, digital signage and in-gallery interpretation. Liaises with colleagues across the museum to develop and coordinate projects that support the Phillips’ Collection’s strategic goals.
Reporting to the Director of Strategy and Operations, who oversees digital strategy, the Head of Digital Experience serves as digital subject matter expert and project manager for onsite and online digital initiatives. This position will implement strategy, providing guidance on industry best practices and products, trends and opportunities. They have primary responsibility for total institutional digital project direction and the crafting of institutional work flow and timelines. Leads a cross-divisional digital team to conceive and produce new digital experiences that engage and inspire our diverse audiences; oversees the information architecture, development, and routine maintenance of these projects and platforms; and ensures a user-friendly experience across the board. The Head of Digital Experience will apply their technical knowledge of A/V and UX to new online, onsite museum, and off campus community (THEARC) initiatives and has the capacity to direct an A/V/ UX technical expert and a manager of digital content. Working collaboratively with colleagues across the museum to create strategic, synergistic programs that leverage the power of technology, advance the museum’s mission and commitment to diversity, equity, accessibility, and inclusion (DEAI), and increase audience engagement.
The Head of Digital Experience is responsible for providing creative, comprehensive management in the development and implementation of all aspects of the Phillips’ new digital engagement framework. Assists in the development of short- and long-term technology and infrastructure planning to the Phillips’ strategic and operational goals. Facilitates universal access to the Phillips’ collections and programs through engaging digital platforms. Engages with various stakeholders to ensure the museum is maximizing opportunities to broaden its audiences and connect with the next generation of visitors. Collaborates on technology-related grants. Provides A/V and technology guidance and support for museum online and onsite events, including lectures, talks, digital exhibitions and live streaming initiatives.
RESPONSIBILITES AND ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
Implements the long-term digital and A/V/ UX experience strategy for the museum; guides and manages the delivery of new digital and A/V initiatives; provides technical oversight for all digital and A/V on-site and off-site community (programming at THEARC) initiatives for the museum; plans, organizes and manages the budget.
Leads a cross-institutional digital experience team to facilitate collaboration, leverage resources, provide guidance, ensure alignment with strategic goals, and provide awareness of overall initiatives and capacity.
Provides technical leadership, outstanding creativity, exceptional judgment and a collaborative approach.
Serves as project manager and team leader for digital access and engagement and digitization partnership initiatives.
As the Phillips’ plans to expand its digital reach, the Head of Digital Experience will have the opportunity to:
• Engage and inspire the current and next generation of Phillips’ visitors by using technology and innovation to find new ways for the public to interact and build long-term, meaningful relationships with the museum.
• Provide digital and virtual access to the Phillips’ collection, exhibitions and programs, and infuse digital engagement initiatives across all areas of exhibitions and programming from the earliest planning stages.
POSITION REQUIREMENTS & QUALIFICATIONS:
• A minimum of five years of professional experience managing the digital strategy for a cultural organization, with a proven track record of developing and managing successful onsite and online digital experiences;
• Broad knowledge of the digital realm and can lead diverse cross-divisional teams and align initiatives with the museum’s strategic goals.
• Proven interdisciplinary management experience, including strong familiarity with technology, facilitation and consensus building skills to work across divisions, and demonstrated commitment to DEAI principles.
• Demonstrated technical and project management skills, including digital and A/V/ UX experience strategy development and how to ensure alignment with exhibition, visitor engagement, requirements and technology ecosystem;
• Content management systems;
• Digital engagement;
• Current and emerging trends in digital, web, mobile and A/V technologies;
• Creative development process;
• Online analytics monitoring and reporting: monitor, track, analyze and report on online engagement metrics;
• Manage multiple projects simultaneously, communicating with key stakeholders and managing expectations, offering potential solutions throughout the project lifecycle.
Other Knowledge, Skills and Attributes
• Communicating complex ideas in simple terms, gathering requirements, problem solving, and presentation skills
• Project resourcing, estimation, budgeting, risk management, negotiation, deployment, and support and maintenance;
• Demonstration of A/V technical ability. Matterport camera experience desirable.
• Strong supervisory and leadership skills.
• Exceptional planning and organizational skills. Results and detail oriented with the ability to set and meet deadlines.
• Ability to analyze, organize and prioritize work under pressure while meeting deadlines.
• Ability to work evenings, nights, and weekends as necessary.
• Ability to work independently and/or in a collaborative environment.
• Proficiency in computer software (i.e. Microsoft Office 365, Adobe Creative Suite) and preferred proficiency in digital asset management software (i.e. Adobe Experience Manager).
To apply, visit https://www.phillipscollection.org/employment
The Phillips Collection is an equal opportunity employer of qualified individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences. All employment decisions and personnel actions are conducted without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, genetic disposition or carrier status, marital status, veteran status, personal appearance, gender identity or expression, family responsibilities, matriculation, political affiliation, or any other category protected under applicable federal, state, or local law.