About the role:
As one of the most famous institutions in the UK, the British Museum requires leading expertise to continually develop, progress and pioneer change. With a variety of exclusive benefits including membership of the civil service pension scheme and competitive training opportunities, the Museum is an exciting and unique organisation for developing your professional career.
This is an exciting opportunity within our Events department to deliver an effective programme of events to support fundraising, generate income and aid the Museum’s reputational development. This involves managing all British Museum related events within gallery spaces and events hosted by corporate members and sponsors. You will also be expected to lead, build and train a competent and effective events team.
Key areas of responsibility:
- Develop the strategic long-term plan for the team including setting deadlines and allocating projects within the team. To review and update the schedule as necessary, highlighting potential conflicts and to set overall budgets and strategic long-term planning.
- Lead the planning and operational delivery of all events in the department’s programme including Museum-hosted events and event benefits for Corporate Partners/Members and Sponsors. Allocate events within the team and monitor to trouble-shoot as needed. Work closely with the Head of Corporate Relations to secure high level sponsor business and renewals.
- Act as the initial point of contact for all miscellaneous event requests, both external and internal, measuring the requirements and benefits, taking forward with the appropriate stakeholders to approve or decline.
- Where necessary take personal responsibility for complex, high profile, and large-scale events, including senior level liaison, contract negotiation and protocol arrangements.
- Be responsible for managing the annual events budget. Providing progress, forecasting and business reports as necessary. Set budgets for internal events and ensure these are met. Maintain events reporting and diaries, including annual events count.
About the British Museum:
Founded in 1753, the British Museum’s remarkable collection spans over two million years of human history and culture. The Museum is one of the leading visitor attractions and its world-famous collection includes the Rosetta Stone, the Parthenon sculptures, Egyptian mummies, the Admonitions Scroll, and the Amaravati sculptures.
The Museum offers a competitive benefits package including:
- Membership of the civil service pension scheme
- Free entry to a wide range of museums and exhibitions
- Participation in private and public Museum activities, including talks by leading curators from around the world and behind-the-scenes opportunities to learn how museums care for and manage their extraordinary collections
- Generous annual leave allowance
- Interest-free travel, bicycle and rental deposit loans
- Professional and personal development opportunities
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Discounts on food and gift shop purchases
For more information about this role, please see the job description.
If you have any additional needs that we should be aware of in order to support you with your application, please provide details to [email protected].
The British Museum is committed to promoting equality of opportunity for all staff and job applicants. We aim to create a working environment in which all individuals can make best use of their skills, free from unlawful discrimination or harassment. We value the benefits that a diverse workforce brings to a Museum which represents world culture. The Museum is committed to ensuring that no job applicant suffers unlawful discrimination because of any protected characteristics. Our recruitment procedures aim to ensure that individuals are treated because of their relevant knowledge, skills and experience.
We are also currently piloting a flexible way of working that allows our employees to work remotely in a way that suits them and the organisation. We welcome questions and conversations at interview stage and how flexible working could work for you.
The Museum adheres to the HMG Baseline Personnel Security Standard (BPSS) for pre-employment screening of Civil Servants.
Application Closing Date: 04 October 2022
+ Find out more
Browse all the latest vacancies in museums in our Museum Jobs section