- To connect visitors to Zayed National Museum by developing compelling thematic interpretation that attracts, welcomes, inspires, and informs visitors about the history of the UAE and its founding father. The intention is to guide our audiences through a life-long journey of discovery that connects them to Sheikh Zayed and the UAE.
- The Interpretation Senior Specialist (Writing) is responsible for writing non-personal interpretive texts for permenant & temporary exhibitions, social media, learning websites, apps, and other interpretive projects onsite, online and offsite. Through their interpretive writing, this position ensures that the visitor experience is dynamic, engaging, inspiring and accessible.
- This position will also contribute to the other elements of interpretive non-personal media in addition to interpretive writing.
- Plan, develop, conduct research, write, and manage editing and translation of all non-personal interpretive writing. Projects may include, but are not limited to: exhibit texts and labels, interpretive panels, mobile apps, self-led visitor activities, audio tours, digital multimedia guides, online resources and website content, wayfinding and other signage, visitor information, models, guidebooks, mechanical and digital interactive media, audio-visual media, print and electronic publications, virtual and augmented reality,
- Research and benchmark the museum’s non-personal interpretation against international best practice, trends and innovations to ensure ZNM’s are of high standards and take advantage of new and emerging technologies.
- Ensure that accessbility and inclusivity are considered in the overall plan of all non-personal interpretation.
- Contribute to developing, designing, delivering, maintaining, and evaluating other high quality, creative interpretation projects for varied audiences.
- Proofread interpretive text in Arabic and English.
- Work with subject matter experts (internal & external) to develop, review and produce thematic non-personal interpretive content that enhances the visitor experience and connects people to the museum’s narratives.
- Ensure that non-personal interpretive media are accurate, coordinated and integrated across the site, online and offsite.
- Regularly review and refresh the museum’s non-personal interpretation themes, content, wayfinding, and operational signs to incorporate audience needs, motivations and expectations.
- Oversee the work of agency resources for assigned projects to ensure the high quality, on-time, in-budget delivery of projects
- Support the Interpretation Unit Heads in leading regular visitor focus groups to ensure that interpretation content, methods and devices are audience relevant.
- Support the Non-Personal Interpretation Unit Head in developing annual implementation plans and budget requirements.
- Assess and recommend maintenance of non-personal interpretive products where needed.
- Using design templates, prepare temporary signage for piloting onsite to gather visitor feedback and suggestions on future permanent non-personal interpretation.
- Proofread interpretation texts in English and Arabic.
- Participate in interpretive programme delivery and evaluation when required.
- Contribute to non-personal interpretation design and other projects where needed.
- Other duties as required.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in non-personal museum interpretation with at least 2 years experience in non-personal interpretive writing in a bilingual museum environment.
- Proven interpretive writing skills.
- Experience in developing engaging and exciting learning resources and interpretive themes, narrative journeys, storyboards and content with clear learning / communications outcomes including emotional and action-based outcomes.
- Knowledge of current practice in museum interpretation, visitor experience, and audience engagement.
- Experience with the use of new technologies to interpret the collections and to engage new audiences.
- Excellent understanding and knowledge of communicating with diverse audiences.
- Dedication to ensuring that non-personal interpretive media are inclusive and accessible.
- Excellent working knowledge of the Microsoft & Adobe Suite.
- Creative copywriting and proofreading, with the ability to tailor often complex messages to a wide range of audiences.
- Experience in planning and developing non-personal interpretive experiences to a wide range of audiences using a wide range of presentation techniques.
- Experience in evaluating non-personal interpretive media.
- Experience working with multi-disciplinary teams.
- Experience in managing projects, contracts, and budgets.
- Excellent interpretive writer in Arabic and English for a general audience.
- Experience developing and delivering personal interpretation programmes for varied audiences.
- Interpretive design skills.
- Experience in the installation and maintenance of exhibits (indoor or outdoor).
- Fluency in additional languages is an advantage.
Required Education / Qualifications
- Bachelor’s Degree in Journalism, Media Studies, Museum Studies, Interpretation, Education, History, Archaeology, or other area related to the job requirements.
- Master’s Degree in Journalism, Media Studies, Museum Studies, Interpretation, Education, History, Archaeology, or other area related to the job requirements
Performs at the Professional Competency Level:
- Broad Mindset
- Uses Resources Efficiently
- Makes Effective Decisions
- Develops Self
- Builds Sustainable Relationships
- Inspires and Enables Others
- Shapes and Initiates
- Drives Accountability
- Customer Centricity
- Industry Knowledge (Core) – Skill
- Project Management (Core) – Knowledge
- Customer Service (Core) – Skill
- Strategic Planning (Core) – Knowledge
- Research (Core) – Skill
- Subject Matter Expertise – Skill
- Interpretive Programme Development, Delivery, and Evaluation – Skill
- Collections Management – Awareness
- Publishing and Editorial – Knowledge
- Interpretation and Mediation – Skill
- Ideation – Skill
To apply, please send your CV and cover letter to [email protected]
Browse all the latest vacancies in museums in our Museum Jobs section