The Natural History Museum is both a world-leading science research centre and the most visited natural history museum in Europe. With a vision of a future in which both people and the planet thrive, it is uniquely positioned to be a powerful champion for balancing humanity’s needs with those of the natural world.
It is custodian of one of the world’s most important scientific collections comprising over 80 million specimens. The scale of this collection enables researchers from all over the world to document how species have and continue to respond to environmental changes – which is vital in helping predict what might happen in the future and informing future policies and plans to help the planet.
We are at a pivotal moment in our history as we launch a new strategy setting out our role as the natural world faces increasing threats. Building on our world-leading collection, global reputation for science and as one of the world’s leading visitor attractions, the NHM has ambitious plans leading up to the 150 anniversary of the opening of the Waterhouse Building in 2031, making this a truly exciting time to be part of the NHM team.
About the role
We are looking for a highly creative and proactive Junior Digital Media Producer who will be responsible for bringing Natural History to life through the creation of video and audio content and supporting our programme of live events.
You will work as a part of the Museum’s NHM Studios team who deliver video and audio formats designed for consumption in-gallery and on the Museum’s website and app, as well as new innovative formats including those designed for consumption off platform on social.
Supporting our Studio Manager, you will help facilitate events in our Attenborough Studio. The Attenborough Studio is a multifunctional space where the Studios team facilitate live events with audiences such as Nature Live, Lates and schools focused events such as Tectonic Earth Show.
You will have experience in technical and editorial elements of video production, with knowledge of live video streaming and the suitability of different platforms.
This will be teamed with the ability to work within a team and under your own initiative, working collaboratively with different stakeholders across multiple specialisms. Because of this, you are an excellent communicator and are receptive to feedback demonstrating a willingness to learn and develop skills.
Fixed Term Contract: 12 months
Closing date: 9am Wednesday 27 January 2021
Remote skills test expected 17- 19 Feb and interviews falling between 24 – 26 Feb
What we offer
* 5 days holiday plus 8 bank holidays (full time equivalent)
* Generous defined contribution Natural History Museum Pension Scheme (employer contribution up to 10%)
* Free admission to our exhibitions and many other paid exhibitions at museums, galleries and institutions across the country, such as the British Museum, V&A, National Gallery, Royal Academy and Tate
* Affordable membership to the Civil Service Sports Council which offers a range of benefits including a free digital Tastecard, discounted cinema tickets and corporate membership of English Heritage sites (including Dover Castle and Stonehenge). For more details, visit https://www.cssc.co.uk
* Membership to our Sports and Social Association (for a small fee), which includes access to our in-house gym and clubs such as football, softball, table tennis and tennis and classes in Middle Eastern dance, yoga and Tai Chi
* Staff discounts at a range of local businesses and services
* Up to 50% staff discount at our shops and cafes
* Season ticket, bicycle and rental loans
* Eye care vouchers
* Professional development opportunities – We are committed to the professional development of our staff and offer a range of courses to ensure they reach their potential. We also sponsor professional qualifications and job-related professional membership fees.
How to apply
If that sounds like you please apply online on the Natural History Museum’s careers portal, and provide:
* A comprehensive curriculum vitae giving details of relevant achievements in recent posts as well as your education and professional qualifications.
* A covering letter that summarises your interest in this post, providing evidence of your ability to match the criteria outlined in the person specification.
To apply, please visit https://careers.nhm.ac.uk/
Diversity and Inclusion
We welcome applications from everyone – diversity, inclusion and the feeling of belonging matters to us. By attracting people to work for us from a broad range of diverse backgrounds we can continue to look at the world with fresh eyes and find new ways of doing things. We offer a stimulating and professional environment in which to work. This is a remarkable place we look for staff who can work according to our values – we champion diversity, encourage creativity, we are connected, and we value evidence.