The Natural History Museum is both a world-leading science research centre and the most visited natural history museum in Europe. With a vision of a future in which both people and the planet thrive, it is uniquely positioned to be a powerful champion for balancing humanity’s needs with those of the natural world.
It is custodian of one of the world’s most important scientific collections comprising over 80 million specimens. The scale of this collection enables researchers from all over the world to document how species have and continue to respond to environmental changes – which is vital in helping predict what might happen in the future and informing future policies and plans to help the planet.
We are at a pivotal moment in our history as we launch a new strategy setting out our role as the natural world faces increasing threats. Building on our world-leading collection, global reputation for science and as one of the world’s leading visitor attractions, the NHM has ambitious plans leading up to the 150 anniversary of the opening of the Waterhouse Building in 2031, making this a truly exciting time to be part of the NHM team.
About the role
Technology Solutions is looking for a Software Developer to work within a new cross-departmental e-commerce product team. Using Agile methodologies the team will produce robust products, services and integrations to help deliver the digital ambitions and goals of the Natural History Museum.
The developer will work predominantly on our Magento e-commerce platform, to design, build and maintain custom features and third party modules (e.g. SCommerce, Xtento, Amasty) and integrations with our other back-end business and information systems (Dynamics365, eGalaxy Ticketing, Cybertill).
The position offers high autonomy to really make a difference, and support to learn and master new technologies from an existing team of experienced developers, analysts and support staff.
The role could suit an experienced e-commerce or Magento developer or a strong PHP developer interested in moving into the e-commerce field.
You will have experience working with and developing for e-commerce platforms (such as Magento) and payment gateways (such as Worldpay or Stripe) or significant PHP development experience with an interest in moving into e-commerce.
You will be comfortable working in a multi-disciplinary Product team using Agile methodologies and keen to broaden your skills to cover a wider range of web platforms and languages. You will already be well versed in Restful Web Services and software development and delivery processes and tools.
Thriving at the Museum: the way we work
We are proud to work at the Museum and have identified the qualities we all need to embody to reach our shared ambition. This sits alongside the Museum’s values and forms the framework for the way we work.
Find out more here
What we offer
- 27.5 days holiday plus 8 bank holidays (full time equivalent)
- Generous defined contribution Natural History Museum Pension Scheme (employer contribution 4 – 10%)
- Season ticket, bicycle and rental loan
- Life insurance
- Free admission to our exhibitions and many other paid exhibitions at museums, galleries and institutions across London and the UK.
- Staff discount at our Museum shops and cafes
- We offer a wide variety of training initiatives and opportunities to build skills. Investing in staff development is important to us, and we are ambitious about helping staff to grow and fulfil their potential.
- Affordable membership to the Civil Service Sports Council which offers a range of benefits including an extensive list of special offers and reduced entry fees at a selection of cinema chains, theme parks, theatres, retailers and supermarkets. It also provides entry to up to 300 English Heritage sites and other national treasures. For more details, visit https://www.cssc.co.uk
- Membership to our Sports and Social Association (for a small fee), which includes access to our in-house gym and clubs such as football, softball, table tennis and tennis and classes in Middle Eastern dance, yoga and Tai Chi
How to apply
If that sounds like you, please apply online on the Natural History Museum’s careers portal,
Closing date: 9am, Monday 11 July 2022
Interviews expected 18 – 22 July 2022