American Museum & Gardens
The mission of the American Museum & Gardens is to educate, stimulate, and inspire its visitors in order to further the understanding of American history and culture. The Museum carries out this mission through the presentation of its historic rooms, its decorative art and folk art collections, and its special exhibitions, publications, learning programmes, and gardens. Our organisation is the only one of its kind outside the boundaries of the United States. We welcome, on average, 40,000 visitors a year, the vast majority of them British.
About the role
The Business and Development department is responsible for marketing, membership, commercial income generation and fundraising for the Museum. Commercial income generation currently arises from catering, retail, venue hire (both weddings and corporate), some events, and film location hire.
The Marketing Manager role is responsible for all marketing and PR activity. The Marketing Manager leads on strategy for marketing. The Marketing Manager is also responsible for all social media platforms, website, press releases, editorial coverage, image and video content, leaflet distribution, on site marketing, advertising (paid for and free), discounts and other marketing and PR opportunities.
The Marketing Manager works in close collaboration with the Curatorial, Membership & Development, Operational, Estate and Gardening Teams, to ensure appropriate content and images; and alongside the Senior Management Team on the development of the marketing strategy.
These responsibilities involve a number of key activities as outlined below:
- Responsibility for creating and delivering the Museum’s Marketing Strategy. The Marketing strategy is an integral component for ensuring the business success of the Museum, and on this basis would be developed in collaboration with the Senior Management Team. The strategy aims to raise the Museum’s profile, attract increased numbers of visitors from our key target audience segments and increase income generation
Understanding our visitors
- Using internal and external data, the Marketing Manager is responsible for identifying the most appropriate visitors to target for the museum, and for using the most appropriate marketing tools to target potential audiences
Communicating our offer
- Responsibility for developing and implementing an annual marketing plan, aimed at target audiences
- Developing detailed marketing plans as appropriate for key events
- Use of a range of marketing techniques to promote the Museum, as appropriate to segmented target audiences
- Use of on-site opportunities to engage visitors (i.e.; reviews, donations, hire, retail and F&B)
- Working with the Membership and Development Officer to increase membership recruitment and development of the Members’ Newsletter
- Close collaboration with American Museum & Gardens colleagues, to fully understand the opportunities, suitable content and excellent execution
- Identification and development of relationships with external contacts including:
– Other museums and attractions, destination management organisations and other tourism partners, hoteliers etc.
– Relevant press contacts
– Relationship building with potential contractors such as photographers, bloggers etc.
- Responsibility for organising, facilitating and following up on FAM visits of the site
- Attending Travel Trade and other trade shows as appropriate
Keeping things up to date
- Responsibility for updating the website and our details on external websites
- Being on call to update social media and the website, particularly at times when the Museum is busy or weather is inclement
- A Marketing qualification or 3 years Marketing experience
- Previous experience working within the commercial sector or an arts/heritage/cultural sector
- Exceptional proven written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to spot a potential story
- Experience of creating, using and editing content in different channels (web, social media, PR)
- Experience of marketing and website metrics/analytics
- Proven analytical skills
- Advanced IT skills (using Microsoft Office). Ability to use and edit digital media
- Excellent organisational skills and strong attention to detail
- Strong interpersonal skills, able to relate effectively and appropriately to a wide range of people
- Customer focussed
- Good eye for design and presentation
- Understanding of relevant legislation (including data protection, marketing codes and regulations, accessibility standards, copyright and model release)
- Experience of analysing audience information and using this to identify methods to target different types of audience
The American Museum & Gardens is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people, and vulnerable adults, and expects all staff members to share this commitment.
This role may be subject to a basic Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check. If called for interview you will be asked to disclose details of any convictions which are not yet spent.
The American Museum & Gardens is an equal opportunities employer.
Please send an CV and covering letter outlining how you meet the person specification, together with a completed Equal Opportunities Monitoring Form, by 5pm on Wednesday 16th June 2021, to email@example.com or by post to The American Museum & Gardens, Claverton Manor, Bath BA2 7BD. Interviews will be held during the week commencing 28th June 2021.
Benefits for working at the American Museum include:
- 20 days’ holiday plus 8 days’ public holidays pro rata
- 20% discount on purchases in our café and 10% discount in our shop
- Free parking
- Free hot drink and cookie each day from The Garden Café
- Flexible working whenever possible
- Free entry to the museum for you, and 6 guest cards for admission to the museum for you to use as you wish
- Pension scheme of with a 4% contribution from American Museum & Gardens, and a minimum 3% contribution from the employee