We protect and care for places so people and nature can thrive. We look after hundreds of houses and close to a million objects, along with vast areas of coastline, countryside and green spaces, for everyone’s benefit. With our staff, members, volunteers and supporters, we’re the biggest conversation charity in Europe.
We are looking for an experienced Project & Programme Specialist to join our Centre of Excellence to support the successful delivery of the National Trust’s strategic ambitions. The team is all about driving excellence in project and programme management across the Trust, improving our organisational capacity and capability to deliver more projects in service of our exciting strategy.
This role is offered on a 3-year fixed term basis.
What it’s like to work here
The Trust’s approach is aligned to the Association for Project Management (APM) – we’re active members – and past winners of Project Management Company of the Year. You won’t work for an organisation with a more varied portfolio of projects – we support activity across the charity from construction to nature conservation, curation to renewables, through to IT and service delivery, heritage conservation to marketing. Our projects span England, Wales, and Northern Ireland – working with us you’ll be protecting unforgettable places for future generations.
Your contractual location will be our head office in Swindon, however there will be an opportunity to explore and agree hybrid working arrangements which strike the right balance for you and the Trust. The role will involve travel to our head office to meet with stakeholders and to carry out work.
What you’ll be doing
Joining the Project & Programme Management Office (PPMO), you’ll provide specialist advice and expertise on projects and programmes to support the delivery of the National Trust’s strategy. Using a hands-on approach, you’ll be a lead on ensuring complex projects, grouped projects and programmes are set up to succeed. You’ll use data analysis to target opportunities that will improve processes as well as developing management information that supports effective decision making across the organisation.
You’ll use your experience to support the development of capability such as delivering training, developing new ways of working and embedding new systems and processes.
You’ll also ensure that our approach to project and programme management is in line with industry thinking and standards. Helping us adapt to changing business needs and leading work with regional and national colleagues.
Who we’re looking for
You can view the full role profile for this role by clicking ‘find out more’ below. You don’t need to have all the knowledge, skills and experience listed in the role profile; this is just to provide a full picture of what is possible in this role.
We’d love to hear from you if you have:
- Professionally qualified in project/programme management, experience in successfully delivering end to end project/programme management including defining resources, securing project teams and matrix management
- Ability to work on your own initiative and be comfortable working in a geographically dispersed matrix environment, supporting several projects and programmes at any one time
- Excellent communication, problem solving and influencing skills and be confident liaising with senior leaders
- A desire to provide fantastic service and support to our organisation
- Ability to flourish in a complex and collaborative working environment, encouraging others, eager to share your knowledge and experience
- Passion, someone who comes to work each day to be the best you can, to learn and develop
The National Trust has the motto ‘For everyone, for ever’ at its heart. We’re working hard to create an inclusive culture, where everyone feels they belong. It’s important that our people reflect and represent the diversity of the communities and audiences we serve. We welcome and value difference, so when we say we’re for everyone, we want everyone to be welcome in our teams too.
- Flexible working whenever possible
- Free parking at most locations
- Free entry to our properties for you, a guest and your children (under 18)
- Substantial pension scheme of up to 10% basic salary
Click here to find out more about the benefits we offer to support you.
Application Closing Date: 27 November 2022
+ Find out more
Browse all the latest vacancies in museums in our Museum Jobs section